Friday, March 02, 2007

Lady in the Water - ACE Train Movie Review

M. Night Shyamalan writes and directs this self-proclaimed, grown-up "bedtime story" about an apartment building superintendent named Cleveland who discovers a magical sea-nymph named Story who's been transported to this world and is living in the building's own swimming pool. As this bizarre revelation sinks in, Cleveland becomes enraptured by her other-worldly charm. As he shelters her in his apartment, other inhabitants of the building begin falling into place as representations of characters from an Eastern myth in which these mermaids, or "narfs," co-exist unhappily with more beastly and violent characters. In human reality, the forces of darkness that threaten the heroes of a fairy tale prove to be much more terrifying, and the victory of good over evil is by no means guaranteed.

This is a ridiculously bad movie. M. Night Shyamalan created a classic film with "The Sixth Sense" and a pretty good film with "The Village," but "Lady in the Water" is not clever or entertaining. It seemed like it was written by a bunch of kids who made up dumb names for make-believe creatures and lame rituals that had to be performed to save the day. The acting seemed forced and I didn't believe what was taking place. Even though it was supposed to be intense, I found myself wanting to laugh at the absurdity of it all. I'm all for creativity and taking chances, but this is too far out there to be of interest.

Rating: 1.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Paul Giamatti, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jeffrey Wright


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: