Monday, March 26, 2007

Blood Diamond - ACE Train Movie Review

Ripped from his family farm and forced to toil away in the sweltering South African diamond fields, Solomon Vandy discovered an extraordinary rough stone of immeasurable value. Danny Archer is a hired gun who specializes in the sale of so-called "blood diamonds" that are used to finance rebellions and terrorist organizations, and is currently serving time for smuggling. As a bloody civil war rages in Sierra Leone and Archer learns that Vandy has safely hidden the diamond in a place where no one would ever suspect, the pair enlist the aid of disillusioned American journalist Maddy Bowen in recovering the treasure that has the power to save Vandy's family and provide the desperate Archer with a much-needed chance for redemption.

This was a very good film. It had action, drama, guns, explosions, airplanes, helicopters, missiles, blood, amputations - everything that makes for a must see. Seriously, it kept me on the edge of my seat and held my interest the entire time. While the film wasn't based on a specific true event, the overall topic and general conflict was real (and continues to be, to a lesser extent). The "realness" of the movie makes it more interesting and sickening at the same time. It's a story that needed to be told and was done so in the best possible way. My only disappointment was that there weren't any special features that showed the real Sierra Leone or the people affected by the real conflict. Oh well, I suppose the movie was real enough.

Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly, Djimon Hounsou


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: