Monday, June 06, 2005

Chocolat - ACE Train Movie Review

Set in the late 1950s, a vagabond woman comes to a French town with her daughter to set up a chocolate shop. The issue is that it's a very religious town and she opens the shop shortly after the beginning of Lent (when you're supposed to abstain from worldly pleasures). One by one, she tests each townsperson's resistance to her treats and endures the wrath of the mayor who wants her run out of town before the town succumbs to her temptation.

This is an artsy film and should not be watched by anyone expecting to see lots of action and explosions. That being said, I loved the messages this movie sent: 1) It's OK to be a unique individual. 2) Don't let religion run your life to the point you feel guilty for indulging in simple pleasures. 3) Chocolate is the way to a woman's heart. I thought the film was well cast and the characters were developed enough to be intriguing, but not too much to be boring. However, the story wasn't THAT interesting and, if not for the "stick it to religion" theme, it would have been a real snooze.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Juliette Binoche, Lena Olin, Johnny Depp, Judi Dench


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: