Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Jacket - ACE Train Movie Review

A Gulf War veteran survives a gunshot wound to the head only to be involved in another shooting - this time, he's blamed for killing a cop. He is declared insane during the trial and sentenced to a mental health institution run by a man who tries some cruel experiments on his patients. During one of the experiments that happens frequently, the veteran is given drugs, strapped in a straight jacket and put in a morgue locker for hours on end. While in there, his mind drifts into the past and into the future where he attempts to help people including himself.

This was an excellent movie. Very powerful images and great cinematography really pulled me into this film. I especially loved the images projected on the corneas of the veteran prior to his mind drifts - very clever and original. The story is packed full of information and mysterious happenings, so it never gets dull. Trying to figure out what is real and what is imagined keeps you on your toes. This is one head trip that's worth watching.

Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Adrien Brody, Keira Knightley, Kris Kristofferson, Jennifer Jason Leigh


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

1 comment:

Dan said...

What was all the hype about this movie. I totally disagree with Dave on this one.

I just can't get into Brody movies, I guess. He just doesn't get it done for me. And then there was Knightley. Her totally unbelievable character was combined with her poor "American" accent. I wondered thoughout the movie why she was cast for the part. (And I'm a big Knightley fan, in fact, I watched this movie because she was in it.)

Anyway, the film was mostly confusing with all the "time" changes, making it difficult at best to follow.

Rating: 1.5 of 5. This one is a "skip"er.