Friday, July 08, 2005

Beyond the Sea - Movie Review

Based on the life of Bobby Darin, this film follows him from childhood to adulthood and captures his many reinventions in between. At the age of 15, he contracted rheumatic fever and was expected to die. He beat the odds and became a successful rock & roll singer, lounge singer and actor. He married Sandra Dee, had a son and won a Grammy. But, his life wasn't without turmoil and a major twist.

Kevin Spacey is an extremely talented performer and his skills are on full display during this film. His credits for this movie include director, producer, writer and lead actor. On top of that, he dances and sings all of the songs in the film himself. While I was very impressed with Kevin Spacey, the movie itself didn't thrill me. It was shot in an unusual and confusing way that went back and forth between a young and adult Bobby Darin and left me wondering what year all the events were taking place, how old Bobby was at the time and why the young Bobby and adult Bobby were appearing in the same scenes. However, it's worth seeing just for Kevin Spacey's performance.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, John Goodman


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: