Friday, July 15, 2005

Friday Night Lights - ACE Train Movie Review

Based on true events and a best-selling book, this movie tells the story of a high school football team in Odessa, Texas struggling to win the state championship while under tremendous pressure from the town who is used to the school's winning ways. With the entire town expecting a championship, the team will seemingly sacrifice anything to win games.

Being from California where high school football games are a fun distraction for high school kids, it was amazing to see how seriously people of all ages in Texas take it. Their high school football fields are multi-million dollar complexes that hold up to 20,000 people and the state championship was held at the Astrodome in front of 55,000 fans. While it was an interesting and entertaining film, I wasn't enthralled and drawn into rooting for the struggling team. I was mostly thinking about how crazy the players and fans are, but the movie does have a good message about the potential consequences of focusing on extra curricular activities at the expense of education.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Tim McGraw


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: