Monday, July 11, 2005

The Machinist - ACE Train Movie Review

An insomniac who works at a machine shop passes the time by hanging out with a call girl and having coffee at an Airport coffee shop. As his mind and body start to deteriorate from the lack of sleep, his mind plays tricks on him and he has trouble differentiating delusions from reality. When he is involved in an accident at work, his co-workers turn against him. He discovers that someone is following him and messing with his mind, but who would want to do that?

This is the type of film where you're confused most of the time, but secrets are slowly revealed. The first scene was intriguing enough to peak my interest and I spent the rest of the movie trying to figure out the puzzle. It is a very dark film, literally and figuratively. I liked the fact that they didn't reveal anything too soon, so you can't figure out the end until you get there. The acting was great and the fact that the lead actor starved himself to get down to 120 pounds was both sickening and commendable. I would totally watch this movie again since the knowledge of the end would make it a different viewing experience.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Christian Bale, Jennifer Jason Leigh


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: