Monday, July 25, 2005

Weekend - July 23-24, 2005

Shawnna went to Atlanta for a Personal Chef conference this weekend, so I stayed down in San Jose to visit with my family. On Saturday, I drove to Dan's house in the morning. I spent the first part of the day copying a bunch of his music onto my computer to supplement the tunes I already have in preparation for purchasing an iPod. Mom took care of Andrew in the morning and brought him back in the afternoon. We ate lunch (McDonald's), Andrew took a nap, Dan and I played video game hockey and then we all went swimming in Dan's pool since the temperature was in the 90's. After swimming, which included mom's impromptu cannon ball, we dried off and went to Fresh Choice for dinner. After dinner, Dan and I played some more hockey before I went to mom's house for the night.

On Sunday, mom and I played miniature golf at Golfland - it was a closely contested match, but I ended up winning 45-51 even after mom got a hole-in-one on the second to the last hole while I shot a 5 (ugh). We then went to Oakridge Mall where mom purchased a new vacuum cleaner at Sears and we ate lunch at P.F. Chang's. We ordered the Crispy Honey Chicken (Lightly battered and quick-fried in a flavorful sauce) and Moo Goo Gai Pan (P.F. Chang's version of the classic Cantonese dish with chicken and shrimp). We both really enjoyed the honey chicken while the moo goo gai pan was a little bland. Next, mom gave me a tour of her workplace (an upscale retirement community in Los Gatos) including a visit with the resident cat, Leo. Leo is about 18 years old and has been taken care of by the residents since he decided to move in several years ago. He hasn't been feeling well and while we were walking around, some of the residents told us he hasn't been eating or drinking, so we brought him to the house of a woman who was going to take him to the vet on Monday. After that, we drove back to Dan's house for some more swimming. For dinner, Dan BBQ'd hot dogs and pork tenderloin and Liz prepared strawberries, ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert. That was a fitting end to a very eventful weekend, so I drove home. On the way home, I drove past an accident on the other side of the road (I later found out that a big rig drove off the side of the road and burst into flames killing the driver). The traffic was backed up on I-680 near the Sunol exit all the way to the I-580 interchange and on I-580 all the way to the Portola exit in Livermore. I'm glad I was going the opposite way...

Epilogue: Leo the cat was taken to the vet on Monday where he was X-rayed which showed he had a fast growing tumor in his leg. Because of his age, the decision was made to put him down instead of putting him through any more pain. RIP Leo - July 25, 2005.

No comments: