Saturday, July 09, 2005

National Treasure - Movie Review

Legend has it that the Founding Fathers hid a treasure trove at the end of the Revolutionary War and left clues to its location in historical documents. An archeologist from a family of treasure hunters continues the quest for the hidden fortune. Along the way, he has to deal with a lot of resistance from people who think he is crazy and don't think the treasure is real. Since one of the clues is supposedly on the back of the Declaration of Independence, he has to find a way to get his hands on the original document while staying one step ahead of a rival treasure hunter with suspect intentions.

Nicolas Cage is no Harrison Ford and this movie is no Raiders of the Lost Ark. This is just a poor man's rip off of a classic movie and left me wondering when Nicolas Cage was going to make a good movie again. The plot is a silly treasure hunt for clues hidden in historical documents ala "The Da Vinci Code." It is unoriginal at best with very few redeeming qualities as far as I could see. I'm going to have to watch some Indiana Jones to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Diane Kruger, Justin Bartha, Jon Voight


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: