Saturday, August 06, 2005

Grosse Pointe Blank - Movie Review

A freelance hit man who is no longer happy with his line of work decides to accept one last assignment. The assignment is based in Grosse Pointe, Michigan, his old home town and the timing coincides with his ten year high school reunion. While in Grosse Pointe, he finds his high school sweetheart who still holds a grudge on him for standing her up on prom night. While spending time with her and pushing off his assignment, he discovers that someone else has an assignment to kill him.

This was a quirky film. A comedy about a guy who kills people for a living is definitely an original and strange concept. I like John Cusack and thought he did a great job and had good chemistry with Minnie Driver, but the film wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. It was mildly amusing the first time he prepared his rifle, tracked his target, shot him dead and packed up; all while arguing with his secretary on the phone about going to his high school reunion. However, the lack of emotion displayed while killing people in precarious positions got old quick and his gun flashing scenes with Dan Ackroyd weren't funny in my opinion. Overall, though, I thought the movie was original and entertaining enough to be enjoyable and was worth seeing once.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Dan Ackroyd, Alan Arkin, Joan Cusack


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: