Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Open Water - ACE Train Movie Review

A scuba diving, married couple decides to get away from the hustle and bustle of their everyday life and go on vacation to a remote island. While there, they naturally want to go scuba diving. Once they are out to sea, the experienced couple decide to break from the group and go exploring. When they return to the pick-up spot, the boat was gone. Left in the middle of the ocean in shark-infested waters, they must find a way to survive long enough for help to arrive.

When I learned this film was based on true events (it says so on the DVD), I was excited to watch it. Ten minutes into the movie, I was bored and ready for some action. After finishing it, I was very disappointed, but wanted to learn about the "true events" this was based on. This was a low-budget, independent film and it showed - the acting was bad and the script was worse. A movie about two people in the middle of an ocean can be interesting if the script is good ("Cast Away" was great and Tom Hanks was by himself on an island). However, I found myself rooting for the sharks just so something would happen. I will say that I liked the ending because it threw me for a loop, but it also exposed the fact that the "true events" were few and far between. If you want to know the real story, click here.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Blanchard Ryan, Daniel Travis


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: