Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Upside of Anger - Movie Review

A housewife and her 4 teenaged daughters' lives are turned upside down when her husband and their father leaves for Sweden with his secretary. The mother turns to drinking and canoodling with her husband's best friend and the daughters find their own way of dealing with their shock. After they all attend a funeral, everything gets put into perspective.

This was a long and confusing film. There were so many side stories that didn't seem to relate to anything and added to the confusion as I tried to figure out their meaning to the whole plot. While Joan Allen and Kevin Costner did a great job in their roles, the four daughters, which are all talented actresses, had their talents wasted by weak roles. I pretty much had the ending figured out in the first 20 minutes, but the message was a good one; although, not good enough to spend two hours of your time.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Joan Allen, Kevin Costner, Keri Russell, Erika Christensen


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

1 comment:

Dan said...

This film was better than I thought. The ending certainly was not what I expected and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't figure it out.

However, there were many dull/dry scenes, and wasted time in this one. Kostner's performance was either not so bad, or I'm so used his recent poor performances that I've dumbed down my expectations.

Overall, 2.5 of 5 from me, but I won't likely watch it again.