Monday, August 15, 2005

Monster's Ball - ACE Train Movie Review

A racist, alcoholic Georgia prison guard starts to fall into a deep depression when his son, who works at the prison's death row, commits suicide. Already under stress from having to take care of his father who is dying of emphysema, he quits his job and starts to lose it until, one night, he comes to the aid of an African-American woman whose son just got hit by a car and died. The unlikely couple find a strong bond in their grief. The prison guard discovers that the woman is the widow of the man whose execution he and his late son helped to orchestrate at the prison.

Snooze. This is the perfect example of a movie that has won a bunch of awards and accolades, but after watching it, I don't see what all the hype was about. The story unfolded so slowly, but then ended abruptly without any closure and left me wondering if it was clever to have the audience draw their own conclusions or just a cop out from having to develop a creative ending. I don't know why Halle Berry won the Best Actress Academy Award for this film, but I suppose having to spend a significant amount of time naked with Billy Bob Thornton is worth some kind of award. Overall, I was bored, unimpressed and not convinced of the racial enlightenment.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Heath Ledger, Halle Berry, Peter Boyle, Sean Combs (P. Diddy)


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: