Monday, August 08, 2005

Guess Who - ACE Train Movie Review

A protective father learns that his daughter is dating someone and it's becoming serious, so he does some research and finds out the man is a successful businessman. Content in that knowledge, the happy couple is invited to the parents' house for the always stressful meeting with the parents. However, this meeting has another surprising twist when the family of the woman (who are African-American) meet her boyfriend and discover he is white. The father is anything but pleased and it will definitely take some convincing to get his blessing; especially considering the couple is planning on announcing their engagement.

I enjoyed this movie and laughed a lot. The black/white conflict isn't necessarily an original idea, but Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher had good chemistry which translated to some very funny moments on screen. The plot was very predictable, but since this wasn't a mystery, I guess that's OK. However, the ending was not only predictable, but also very hokey which left a bad taste in my mouth and probably resulted in a .5 reduction in rating. Overall, I would recommend this movie if you are in the mood for an enjoyable film with a humorous plot and no thinking required.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Bernie Mac, Ashton Kutcher, Zoe Saldana, Judith Scott


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: