Friday, August 12, 2005

A Very Long Engagement - ACE Train Movie Review

An engaged couple living in a French village are torn apart when the man is sent to fight with the army near the German front during World War I. While there, he is accused of injuring himself in order to be sent home. To discourage similar behavior by the other soldiers, he was sentenced to death and was sent into the no man's land between the French and German lines, where he would certainly be killed. His fiance is notified of his death, but she feels in her heart that he is still alive and sets out to find him after the end of the war.

This was a very long movie - or at least it felt like it. This is a French film, so they speak French and have English subtitles. I don't think I have ever watched a movie with subtitles before and I found it challenging to try to see everything that was going on in the scene while simultaneously reading what they were saying. Trying to keep all of the characters straight with their French names was a little difficult as well. I might not have minded the extra concentration that was necessary if I felt the movie was enthralling, but I found it rather slow from start to finish and was relieved when it was over; predictable ending. I tried, but I think it will be quite a while before I watch another subtitled movie.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Audrey Tautou, Gaspard Ulliel, Jodie Foster


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: